Narayanganj District:

Narayanganj District is a district in central Bangladesh, part of the Dhaka Division. The main city of the district is also called Narayanganj, it is near the capital city of Dhaka. The river port of Narayanganj is one of the oldest in Bangladesh.It is also a center of business and industry, especially the jute trade and processing plants, and the textile sector of the country. It is nicknamed the Dundee of Bangladesh due to the presence of lots of jute mills. Dundee was the first industrialised Juteopolis in the world.

Narayanganj District is bounded by Gazipur and Narsingdi Districts on the north, Brahmanbaria and Comilla Districts on the east, Munshiganj District on the south, and Dhaka District on the west. Geologically, the area lies on the edge of the Madhupur Tract and Holocene floodplain deposits form the aquifer. The total area of the district is 759.57ákm▓, of which 48.56ákm▓. is riverine and 0.60ákm▓ is under forest. The district lies between 23░33┤and 23░57┤ north latitude and between 90░26┤ and 90░45┤ east longitude.

Narayanganj Zila consists of five upazilas, 47 unions and 827 mauzas. Out of the five upazilas Rupganj is the largest with an area of 247.97 km▓. which is 32.65% of the total area of the zila. Bandar is the smallest with an area of 55.84 km▓. Sharing 7.34% of the total area of the zila. All the upazilas have more or less similar characteristics.

The city of Narayanganj has a population of 1.5 million and is located some twenty kilometres southeast of Dhaka, the national capital, on the flat Ganges Delta and alluvial plain. The Shitalakshya River divides the town into two parts, the Narayanganj Municipal Area and Kadam Rasul Municipal Area. This area is crossed by many small artificial canals fed by monsoon rain. Average annual rainfall is 2550 mm, 80 to 90% of which occurs between May and October.

The town got its name from Bicon Lal Pandey, a Hindu] religious leader who was also known as Benur Thakur or Lakhsmi Narayan Thakur. He leased the area from the British East India Company in 1766 following the Battle of Plassey. He donated the markets and the land on the banks of the river as Devottor or Given to God property, bequethed for maintenance expenses for the worship of the god Narayan. A post office was set up in 1866, Narayanganj municipality was constituted on 8 September1876 and Dhaka-Narayanganj telegraph service was started from 1877. The Bank of Bengal introduced the first telephone service in 1882.

The ancient city of Sonargaon was the capital of Isa Khan, a medieval ruler of Bengal. Sonargaon is also famous for producing muslin, a delicate and fine cloth made from cotton. The Dhaka-Narayanganj-Demra (DND) embankment surrounds Narayanganj district and protects it from flooding. Narayanganj is also home to the Bangladesh Engineering and Ship Building Corporation, established in 1925 at Sonakanda on the east bank of the Shitalakshya River.



Spots

demo spot , demo spot , demo spot , demo spot , demo spot ,