Sherpur District:

Sherpur District (Dhaka division) with an area of 1363.76 sq km, is bounded by Garo hills of Meghalaya (India) on the north, mymensingh and jamalpur districts on the south, Mymensingh district on the east, Jamalpur district on the west. Annual average temperature maximum 33.3C, minimum 12C; annual rainfall 2174 mm; main rivers are Old Brahmaputra, Mrigi, Malijee, Bhogai, Chellashali and Maharashi. Shal, Segun and Gazari forests are notable.

Sherpur (Town) stands on the bank of the Mrigi. It was established in the seventeenth century. It consists of 9 wards and 56 mahallas. The area of the town is 23.39 sq km. The town has a population of 78749; male 52.22%, female 47.78%; density of population is 3367 per sq km. Literacy rate among the people is 38.6%. During the Mughal period Regional Administrative Centre was established in the town. Magistrate Court and Thana (Police Station) were established in the beginning of the nineteenth century. The Sherpur Municipality was established in 1869. The Telegraph Office and the Munsif Court were established in 1885 and 1887 respectively. Queen Victoria Memorial Academy was established in 1887 and Govinda Kumar Peace Memorial Institute was established in 1919.

Sherpur district was established in 1984; earlier it was a subdivision under the Mymensingh district. The district consists of one municipality, five upazilas, 51 union parishads, 2 municipalities, 18 wards, 73 mahallas, 458 mouzas and 699 villages. The upazilas are jhenaigati, nakla, nalitabari, sherpur sadar and sreebardi.



Spots

demo spot , demo spot , demo spot , demo spot , demo spot ,