Rajshahi District:

Rajshahi District (rajshahi division) with an area of 2407.01 sq km, is bounded by naogaon district on the north, West Bengal of India, kushtia district and the ganges on the south, natore district on the east and nawabganj district on the west. The region consists of barind tract, Diara and Char lands. Main rivers are padma (Ganges), mahananda, baral and Barnai. Annual average temperature: maximum 37.8C, minimum 11.2C; annual rainfall 1862 mm.

Rajshahi (Town) stands on the bank of the river Padma. The area of the Rajshahi Town is 96.69 sq km. It consists of four thanas, 39 wards and 169 mahallas. The town has a population of 383655; male 52.91%, female 47.09%. Density of population is 3968 per sq km (Population Census 2001, Preliminary Report). Rajshahi, which is both a district and a divisional town, was flourished, in the seventeenth century. The district head quarters were transferred to Rajshahi Town from Natore in 1825. Its ancient name was Rampur Boalia. The tomb of Hazrat Shah Makhdum (established in 1634) is located at Dargahpara of the town. Many European traders were attracted to this town because of its being a centre of silk production and location by the side of the river Padma; subsequently the Dutch, the French and the English east india company established business houses in the town in phases. The Silk Factory Building established by the Dutch is now known as Barakuthi. Later the East India Company purchased the Kuthibhaban from the Dutch. The head quarters of the European Voluntary Regiment was established in the Barakuthi during the sepoy revolt in 1857. At the end of the nineteenth century the zamindar of Medinipur purchased the building from the British. After 1947 it was being used as the godown of the civil supply department. When the Rajshahi University was established in 1953, the Barakuthibhaban was turned into the residence of the Vice Chancellor with other office establishments. There are 14 graves of European persons in a cemetery in front of the Kuthibhaban. A flood protection embankment was established in 1855 to save the town. Shahib Bazar is the main business centre of the town. The old areas of the town are Shahib Bazar, Rani Bazar, Reshampatti, Boalia, Ghoramara, Hatemkhan, Dargahpara and Kumarpara. Because of flourishing silk industry Rajshahi is also called the City of Silk. Rajshahi municipality was established in 1876 and was turned into a City Corporation in 1991.

Administration Rajshahi district was established in 1772. Maldaha, Bogra, Pabna, Natore and Nawabganj districts were established in phases dividing this district. It has one city corporation, 4 thanas, 7 municipalities, 93 wards, 297 mahallas, 9 upazilas, 70 union parishads, 1678 mouzas and 1858 villages. The upazilas are bagha, bagmara, charghat, durgapur, godagari, mohanpur, paba, puthia and tanore; thanas are boalia, rajpara, matihar, shah mokhdum.



Spots

demo spot , demo spot , demo spot , demo spot , demo spot ,